Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Corn and Broccoli and the Quest to the Center of the Earth

I was loading the dishwasher this morning when I heard my preschooler shout from the backyard "Mom! Mom!  There's corn and broccoli growing in our backyard!"  He could hardly contain his excitement.  "Come look!"  I wanted to finish loading the dishwasher but curiosity got the best of me and I stopped right then and there and went out to look at the corn and broccoli plants. 


That's right.  Don't ask me how it got there but all I know is that we had broccoli and corn that looked very similar to this for dinner last night....and now it's growing in the backyard! How lucky for us.  He guessed it would grow into full sized broccoli and corn plants.  These little sprouts were just the start....poor little city kid.

I tried to explain what corn and broccoli look like when they first sprout out of the ground.  He looked at me doubtfully and said "maybe it will grow to be big broccoli and corn." And after a few minutes I stopped trying to explain....and he maintained his theory.
And then he went back to the project that had taken him outside to the dirt pile in the first place...digging to the center of the earth. I started to go inside when I heard him say "I think I see the center of the earth"  then he leaned his head in and looked a little closer
 
and dissapointedly sighed "Oh, that's just some lighter colored sand." Darn.  I thought maybe we saw it a minute later...but no, it was just a Mr. Potatoe head part. 
So, I went in the house and he and his baby sister continued the quest for the center of the earth. 
They dug right next to our new "vegetable garden". 

And they were still wearing their pajamas.  And the pajamas looked like this:
 Sometimes it must be fun to be a kid.  I feel refreshed just thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment