Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Highs and Lows


A few years ago some friends of ours passed on a simple little tradition that they used in their family.  It's called HIGHS and LOWS.  The principle is so simple really but for some reason it really struck me as a good way to connect as a family. 

Every night at dinner they would go around the table and share what their "HIGH" and "LOW" points of the day were.  (I probably don't need to explain this to you but it took my son quite a while to make the connection.  Highs are the best part and lows and the worst part.) The object was that by the end of dinner they had a little bit of insight into each other's lives, feelings, challenges, and joys.

So, we tried it out.  Sometimes I already know what my husband or my kids are going to say.  But, sometimes I am completely surprised and I find out about some problem or something exciting in thier lives that I may have otherwise missed.  It keeps us talking at dinner and that's important family time.

And now, years later, it's become tradition in our house.  After the prayer is said and everyone has food on their plate the kids announce "HIGHS AND LOWS!" and then we begin the rounds.  My toddler decided that "HIGH LOW" would be one of her first words and announces it enthusiastically from her high chair.  I like the fact that it at least gives everyone a turn to be heard.

Try it out. Just one more way to connect at the dinner table.




No comments:

Post a Comment